Monday, 6 February 2012

Liverpool v Spurs Match Report

Liverpool and Tottenham Hotspur's meeting at Anfield ended in a stalemate in what was an important game for both teams.

While Liverpool were without defender Jose Enrique for the first time, Spurs were without their manager Harry Redknapp, who could not get to the game due to a glitch in transportation. The Reds also were able to include Luis Suarez back on the roster after the Uruguayan served his eight match ban (nin in total) imposed by the FA.

There was some excitement in the beginning however, when a cat occupied the pitch in the first ten minutes. It took a couple of minutes, but a steward managed to remove the feline from Tottenham’s penalty area.

Finally some real excitement started on the pitch about 20 minutes later. Charlie Adam curled a ball Dirk Kuyt’s way but the Dutch International was offside. A couple minutes later, young Jay Spearing took a shot from outside the box, just nicking the post.

Defender Glen Johnson tried his luck in opening the scoring five minutes before halftime but Spurs’ keeper Brad Friedel stopped it.

Gareth Bale responded for Tottenham but had no power behind his back-kick and Reina caught it.

The second half saw Liverpool even more alive against the Spurs. Even defender Martin Kelly got in on the chances by firing from 25 yards out, but again Friedel saved the effort.

Finally the most talked about man of the last few months was welcomed back onto the pitch. Suarez substituted Kuyt in the 65th minute. He immediately made his presence known by nearly opening the scoring himself but Spurs’ Scott Parker cleared the ball away.

Only a couple minutes later, Parker would find himself on the ground, responding to an accidental kick by Suarez. The Urguayan is booked for it.

Carroll had a brilliant opportunity to finally do it for Liverpool but the ball, which bounced back from the post after Daniel Agger’s attempted header, went clear over the net when the striker was less than ten yards out.

The Reds saw yellow again thanks to Martin Skrtel’s high-flying tackle into Bale.

Poor Carroll could not get that ball to go where it needed to. Glen Johnson’s cross found his head but Carroll headed it too wide.

Despite all the great chances for Liverpool left and right, it was Tottenham with the best chance. Bale had nothing but the ball and a lot of space, until Reina came out. Although a bit messy, the ball was cleared away.

The game ended with both teams taking away a mere point.

No comments:

Post a Comment