Tuesday 22 February 2011

Gerrard launches new foundation

Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard announced his new charitable foundation this week.

Claire House, a children’s hospice in Wirral, and Fairbridge Merseyside, also a children’s charity, will be the beneficiaries of the skipper’s foundation.

The foundation will be working alongside the Consortium for Street Children for a good cause for children nationally and internationally, but will have a focus on Liverpool.

Steven said: "I am delighted to launch this Foundation. The money raised will help give thousands of disadvantaged children a brighter future here in the UK and beyond. I am looking forward to working with SGF's partners and helping make a lasting difference to children's lives."

He said he enjoyed seeing “the smiles on the kids’ faces” and that it was “fantastic” to see their reactions.”

He added: “There’s a big pleasure in giving something back to my city.

“I’ve been to different organisations in Liverpool that are in desperate need of money, and I feel I’m in a position where I can raise a lot. I think if you’re a footballer and you’ve enjoyed the kind of success that I have, the least you can do is give that back to people who need it.”

Steven also expressed his attitude towards helping people, that it is never too late to do good and turn things around.

Gerrard follows in the footsteps of fellow Red Jamie Carragher, who launched his 23 Foundation last year for local underprivileged children.

No comments:

Post a Comment